OTHER BASIC STEPS TO SECURE ELECTIONS:
1. Observers watching as much as possible, and reporting to officials and the public.
1. Copies of eligible voter lists, with appeals of errors
2. Reliably checking signatures on mailed ballot envelopes, with publicly known error rates.
3. Publicly showing each ballot box starts empty
4. Rapid alternatives when machines fail or jam or some staff are absent
5. Machines compatible with local humidity and moisture from wet hands when voters come in from the rain
6. Adequate voting places, equipment, parking and/or public transportation
7. Convoy to take ballot box securely to central counting/scanning station
8. Notice and chance to testify in decisions on provisional ballots
9. Notice and chance to cure signature defects on mailed ballots
10. Exit polls can check results, though consistent differences in US are ignored.
12. Care with indelible ink
14. International observers monitor some elections around the world and occasionally in the US (1999, 2011 and 2017). They can greatly increase trust if they are allowed to arrange for ballot scanning and independent counts of the scans, while respecting local authority over the elections.
15. Enforcement of campaign finance laws
17. Voter skepticism about political messages (UK examples)
18. Partial list of problems 1982-2020